Wednesday 16 February 2011

Birding on the Move

Work or not I'm always keep a record of the birds I see on my travels. One job before work is to top up the bird feeders. All the usual suspects were in attendance: Blackbird, Robin, Wood Pigeon, Jackdaw, Magpie, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Starling, House Sparrow, Collared Dove but unusually no Reed Bunting. Over the past month or so this list can be repeated on most days (probably everyday if I had the chance to watch rather than go to work).

I had 15 minutes to spare on my way to work so I called into Riverside Pond in Priory Country Park. The list there was Cormorant, Grey Heron, Canada Geese, Moorhen, Black Headed Gull, Mute Swan & Mallard. Also some common songbirds. Off to work and past the Rooks that can always be found by the A421 Roundabout at Renhold.

On arrival at work there was just time to grab the camera to get this image of a House Sparrow.


Unfortunately I don't have a good view of the garden at work (well any view really) but did see a black and white flash in the orchard as I arrived. A quick scope around the trees and I soon picked up the unmistakeable red mark of  the Great Spotted Woodpecker, a first for work.

After work at this time of the year there is just enough time to drop into a local spot to clock some birds. I had read on the Beds Birds Message Board that a Stonechat was in residence at Fenlake Meadows so went in search of it. Fenlake Meadows are a series of water meadows next to the Great Ouse and at this time of the year they are very wet. My first mistake therefore was not taking the Wellington boots! Stonechats are not a common bird in these parts so the wet feet were a small price to pay as the bird was just where described. No chance for photography as it was already getting dark but I did get some general views of the area.

The Great Ouse From Fenlake Meadows

Fenlake

Fading Light
In the "lake" (a small depression in the meadow) was a Grey Heron, some Gadwall and Pochard, on the River Canada Geese, Moorhens, a Coot and Mallards. Fieldfare and Redwing were feeding on a wide swathe of grass which is managed and cut short next to the riverbank. I thought I'd spooked them as they took to the trees. It soon became apparent that my preasance was not their main concern as a Common Buzzard followed then in coming out empty handed. There were plenty of Corvids in the area too (Crows & Magpies) and Black-headed Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...